Monday, October 17, 2011

Well everyone I have my tickets order and will be leaving December 5th from Madison and returning home January 24th. I'm planning to try to fit everything into one backpack...don't know if that will happen yet. I'm extremely excited to leave...I now have the name of the couple who will be picking me up from the plane in Santiago. They are Armando Henriquez and Marlene Arias. I think this is the elder of the meeting there and his wife. Anyways you will notice that they have different last names. That is because in Spanish speaking countries, you keep your mother's maiden name and just keep adding on names when you get married...It's up to the individual how many generations they go back :) These folks live close the first convention I will be going to in Placilla, Chile. I will be traveling by bus to and from most conventions I am told. Let this be all for now :)

5 comments:

  1. That is great news Kim! One good thing about taking only one backpack, - it lessens the urge to bring back a lot of souvenirs. :-)
    All the best to you!
    D & S

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love your background ... secondly - thank you for this attempt to keep us informed ... I know computer access will be scarce at times ... but will be fun to travel along as much as possible!!! Please give our dear friends a special Wisconsin hello!! Love you dear ... and may God keep you in His care ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcoming you to Chile, Kim. Armando & Marlene aren't elders here in Santiago. But his father (a widower for over 30 years) has one of the eight city Sunday a.m. mtgs in his home. Maybe that was the confusion. And people here just keep their father's surname and their mother's. So if your mother's maiden name was Smith, you would be Kim Stork Smith, but your name is always alphabetized by your first, paternal, surname. Nobody in all of Latin America uses any added surnames from any previous generations. One more thing: there will be Internet access in more places than you may think. Looking forward to our conv days.
    Jonathan Wright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim!
    You will be getting a letter from me - I mailed it today. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
    Robin Layman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxiously waiting for your next email or post! Thinking of you there at convention, love you sweetie!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete